A taste of the exotic: Thai red beef curry


A lot of people laugh when I tell them I don’t like Indian food because I don’t really like curry – when we go for, or order an Indian, I often just have tandoori chicken with some plain boiled rice and a mountain of salad. But for some reason I really love Thai cuisine and there’s something about their curries I love. I’m not sure if it’s because of their fragrance and sweet coconut, but time after time, I find myself craving a good Thai curry and jasmine rice.
So I’m sharing with you my recipe for Thai red beef curry. For me, I always associate beef with red curry and chicken with green, but of course, that’s just me – you can equally use chicken or king prawns, whatever you like!
The best things about this recipe are that you can also freeze the curry paste, as unless you’re cooking for more than eight, you won’t need the entire packet. I found portioning it into quarters worked well, and keeping it in one of those microwavable trays to use for next time. Also, if you’re not using all of the coconut milk, you can add it to the rice to add a bit of flavour – I always use the half rice to water method, which has never failed on me!

Serves 4
Ingredients
Red curry paste (I’d recommend using 50g – I bought a 200g tub from Waitrose, separated the rest into three 50g portions and froze it for next time)
1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
350-400g fillet steak (if you’re using chicken, I’d suggest a breast per person)
½ an onion
1 can of coconut milk (usually in 400ml, I used 300ml and put the rest in the rice water, or save it for something else)
1 lime
Method
Dice up the onion, before sautéing in a frying pan, drizzled with oil
Cut the steak into manageable strips before adding to the pan, along with the curry paste
Add the ginger and stir, before adding the coconut milk
Add enough water to cover the meat and bring to the boil
Simmer and leave to cook for 10 minutes – if the sauce hasn’t thickened to your liking, cook for a further 5 minutes
Serve with lime wedges

The first time I cooked this dish, I was dieting, so I served my parents’ portions with boiled rice flavoured with the leftover coconut milk and I chose stir-fried vegetables. Greens worked nicely – pak choi, tenderstem broccoli and sugar snaps or mange tout cooked in ginger. Alternatively, if you wanted to cook the curry in a pot and add vegetables to make a one-dish meal, that would work easily as well.
If you find that 50g of the curry paste isn’t enough – or is too much – you can always adjust it next time, to your own personal taste.

Enjoy!
Like I said, chicken works equally as well!

2 comments

  1. I'm not a massive lover of curry either but this sounds amazing. Will definitely give it a go. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good thing is if you don't like it too spicy, just add less of the paste and more coconut - although it loses the red colour! I hate spicy food, but love this for some reason, so would definitely recommend it :) x

    ReplyDelete

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig