Sweet Treats: Snickerdoodle cookies


These totally delectable cookies came to my attention through one of my foodie Twitter followers. I’d never heard of the recipe or indeed ‘snickerdoodle’ before, but I thought I’d give them a go, as they sounded a bit different to your average cookie and it was a boring Friday afternoon – I was in need of something to bake. I have baked them a couple of times since; they’re so easy and incredibly moreish!
Snickerdoodles are similar to ‘sugar cookies’ but are coated in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon – making the surface crack, while the texture is crisp on the outside and chewy inside.
The recipe doesn’t state how many to make, but generally, I split the dough equally into 32. After having a look at different recipes on the internet, I’ve noticed you can make them flat like a cookie, but I choose to make ball-sized portions, which kind of look like the German classic: Lebkusen. Of course it’s a case of whatever you think is best.

Ingredients:
60g butter
160g caster sugar
Couple of drops vanilla essence
1 egg
275g plain flour
¾ tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp cinnamon
To coat:
1 ½ tbs caster sugar
1 tbs cinnamon

Method:
Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl
Add the egg and mix
Sift in the dry ingredients (flour, tartar, bicarb and cinnamon)
Once turned to a soft dough, cover and leave in the fridge for 45 minutes
Make balls of an equal size and coat in the caster sugar/cinnamon mixture, before adding to a baking tray (lined with greaseproof paper)
Place in the oven (gas mark 4) and bake for 20 minutes, checking after 15
Coat again if necessary
Leave to cool


Happy baking! 

No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig