Restaurant review: Catch


Where I ate:
Catch, Queens Road, Buckhurst Hill
Just over a year ago, I found myself blogging about Catch for the first time, and while I may not be an esteemed Catch ‘regular’, I have been a handful of times since. You could say I’ve been caught, I just love it – and I’d definitely go as far as saying it’s one of my favourite Essex restaurants! It’s the one place Kim and I go to when we fancy a catch-up and of course, the food is a bonus.
I took the train to Stratford, before going on the Central Line to Buckhurst Hill – all because I fancied a glass of wine after a long working week. I’m sure it’d have been quicker to drive, but I’d never driven before and I couldn’t really be bothered to buy petrol before Monday. I opted for a large glass of Pinot Grigio and it hit the spot nicely, cold and crisp – a great indication the weekend was finally here!
Bearing in mind it was a Friday night, I was surprised to see the restaurant only half full when we arrived. Even when we left, it wasn’t its usual lively, bustling self. Nicky did say there was a couple of cancellations and it certainly makes a difference when the large table/booth on the far side of the restaurant isn’t in use. It always creates an atmosphere with a big party – even more so, when there’s entertainment. That said, it was nice to be able to have a conversation, without the worry of noise.
What I ate:
Cod and chips, followed by sticky toffee pudding
You can’t go to Catch and not have fish! I seem to be making my way through the menu, choosing something different every time I go. Although I initially had my eye on the calamari (I’ve had it before and it’s definitely my favourite), I decided to go all-out and indulge in the fish and chips. The cod was perfectly battered and the fish itself was chunky, melting in the mouth. I chose skinny fries over thick hand-cut chips, which were well-seasoned.
I demolished the main course and still had room for dessert. I already knew I was going to have the sticky toffee pudding, as Kim had it the last time and it looked amazing! When it arrived, it didn’t disappoint – it was huge; almost like a large square muffin. The thick toffee sauce dotted around the plate was divine as well, although I could have done with a little more. The sponge was light and my plate was empty within seconds! In fact, I’m still adamant I could have eaten a second!
Yet another good evening at Catch and as always, Nicky was accommodating and chatted to us after the meal. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a restaurant that’s so good, consistently. If you’re yet to go to Catch – what are you waiting for? You’ll certainly not be disappointed.

No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig