Restaurant review: The Last Anchor


Where I ate:
The Last Anchor, Haven Marina, Ipswich
The Last Anchor is a lovely little restaurant situated on Ipswich marina. Light and airy on the inside, with spectacular views of the boats and docks through large windows, it’s perfect. It was my first meal there, after hearing a number of good reviews and it certainly won’t be my last visit either. I was driving and parking was a little difficult – there’s a small overflow car park around the corner, it’s just not well signposted or anything.
What I ate:
Fish and chips (with mushy peas and homemade tartare sauce), followed by egg custard tart with caramelised fig and cinnamon cream
I ordered from the Sunday lunch menu, priced at £12.95 for two courses, or £16.95 for three. Having eaten only a couple of hours previously, I knew I’d only be able to manage two courses – and I prefer desserts to starters. With it being a Sunday, I should have gone for a roast dinner, but I definitely lucked out with my choice of fish and chips. Even people on neighbouring tables stared when it arrived and couple even ordered it themselves.
It was presented beautifully, on a wooden board with the fish and chips served in a mock deep fat fryer pan – I really wish I’d taken a picture now. The piece of fish was huge and so fresh, while the batter was crisp and hot. There were loads of chips, probably even enough for two. They were incredible too, definitely twice-cooked; fluffy interiors and crisp exteriors – proper chips! I’m not usually a fan of mushy peas, but they were lovely too; the lemon rind and juice was a good addition.
There were only three options for dessert and the egg custard tart seemed the lightest option – it’s also one of my favourite pastries! While it was good, it wasn’t anything special, but I think my expectations were high after the main course. I don’t think I’d have been able to manage the sticky toffee pudding (which looked yummy) and the chocolate and marshmallow bread and butter pudding would have been far too heavy and sickly.
The staff were very good and considering the numbers (including a rather large table of 12) were efficient. Our waitress was enthusiastic, which was also nice to see.
There’s also a set menu for weekday evenings and I am determined to have breakfast at The Last Anchor – the American pancakes with berries have caught my eye. What better way to burn the calories than walk around the docks as well?

No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig