Pub review | The Angel



Last Friday, I booked the day off work and promised I’d treat mum to lunch. As we were planning on visiting dad in hospital afterwards, she decided on The Angel at Broomfield, which was just around the corner. It’s part of the Village Inn chain, so I knew what to expect – all those pubs seem to be fairly similar: cosy interiors, traditional decor and pub grub, although the menus also vary depending on season.

There’s a light bites section of the menu, with smaller main meals and sandwiches from a reasonable £5.50, with the option to upgrade to two or three courses for an additional £2 k course. A three course meal for under a tenner? You can’t go wrong!
After much deliberation, I played it safe with the warm chicken & bacon sandwich, a giant cob stuffed with chicken breast, bacon rashers, beef tomatoes, cos lettuce and mayo. It was huge and so filling, but surprisingly good. The chicken wasn’t dry and there was plenty of salad. The roll was slightly toasted, which was a shame as it would have been much better soft and fresh. I had the option of fries, chunky chips or salad and went for the regular chips. By my standards, that was a big lunch!
Mum went a bit more adventurous with the lamb kofta open sandwich, which she thoroughly enjoyed – the photo doesn’t do it justice. I think this was a new addition for the spring menu, as there was so much salad. It was served on a similar roll, but the two halves had different toppings. It’s a shame we weren’t able to enjoy the British spring and sit outside.
We didn’t have room for dessert, which I’m still gutted about – they’ve brought back the peanut butter & chocolate cheesecake which is absolutely lush (I just had to include the photo of when I last had it; I mean look at it!). It just means I’ll have to go back to another Vintage Inn again soon.

£14 isn’t bad for lunch at all and it was great for a quick pit-stop.

No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig