Restaurant review | Lake Garda & beyond



Limone
 
Our Thomson Lakes & Mountains advisor, Joe, recommended this place after our orientation tour; he wasn’t wrong when he said they serve the best pizza in Limone! It’s round the other side from where the port is, but you need the walk to burn off those calories! With plenty of al fresco seating, it’s perfect for people watching and the canopies are great for when the midday sun is too strong. The staff were so welcoming and friendly, speaking good English and never rushed us. To drink, I had a Hugo (prosecco with elderflower, mint and sparkling water), which was one of my favourite holiday drinks – so refreshing. And to accompany it, just a prosciutto pizza. Our advisors weren’t lying when they said the pizzas are dustbin lid size, they were huge! Thin, crisp, light and packed with flavour. I did add some chilli-infused oil to mine though; it certainly gave it a kick. In all, the meal and ambience were excellent and it’s a shame we didn’t go back.

Venice
On our daytrip to Venice, we decided to eat here, because it was slightly cheaper than the places at San Marco’s and it looked busy (always a good sign). Opposite Grand Canal, we were blessed with gorgeous views. Having had pizza the day before, I opted for pasta and chose one of my favourites: seafood spaghetti. It was really lovely, packed with clams, mussels and squid and finished off with a giant langostine (which I couldn’t actually peel!) – there was loads of fresh pasta and the sauce wasn’t overpowering, or too much. At only 16, this was great value – and I struggled to eat it all (I blame the heat). The service was good and despite some negative reviews, I had no complaints.

Verona
After our guided tour of the city, our guide gave us all vouchers to eat at this converted church. A main meal and a drink for 11 seemed ridiculously good value and it’s definitely a tourist trap, but at the same time, has a weird charm about the place. Because we had vouchers, we weren’t given menus but asked to see them anyway. Good move as the margherita pizza was only 5.5 - we both opted for mixed meat and red onion, priced at 10.5 (I definitely felt like we cheated the system!). The pizza was divine, on a par with the one I’d had a couple of days ago in Limone – thin, crisp, lots of topping; exactly how a pizza should be. I accompanied it with a traditional Aperol spritz, which again was one of the best I’d had on holiday. The service wasn’t great and you have to go up to pay; no bill, you just point to your table. But good food at even better prices, in somewhere a little different, it gets my thumbs up.

Malcesine

If you read my Lake Garda post, you’d know we took a boat to Malcesine – and found this place on Trip Advisor. Everything about it was quite simply, perfect: setting, service, atmosphere, food – it ticked every box. It’s a shame we were the other side of the river, or we would have definitely returned. Our waiter Emilio (from Gateshead!) was so friendly and efficient; you’d have thought he was the owner the way he spoke to every customer. To eat, I chose the white fish and asparagus risotto. I’m not usually a fan of risotto, but when in Italy... it was lovely and delicate in flavour, creamy, but not rich or salty. It was like summer in a bowl, heaven. While we ate, we even saw a wedding party arrive – English weddings are really popular in the area because of Malcesine Castle which can be hired out. It’s a great spot to people watch and the free shot of limoncello at the end was a lovely touch as well.
 

No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig