Pub review | The Nag’s Head, Brentwood


Last Friday, I took mum out for a girly birthday lunch and after some research (she didn’t really know where she wanted to go), we settled on The Nag’s Head. It’s just on the outskirts of Brentwood, near the roundabout for the M25, but a place we’ve not been to for years. After a quick reccy online, I was really looking forward to it – the menu sounded amazing! When we arrived, the car park was full and as it was pouring with rain, everyone was inside. We head straight to the bar and managed to get a table for two, despite not booking.

The pub is a traditional, old building and while it’s been re-furbed to look more modern, it still retains some of its older features and character. For a pub, it’s quite smart and it’s sit-down service, rather than go up and order to collect a wooden spoon, which I love. The staff were rushed off their feet, with only three or four people working and while the man looking after our table was friendly, he didn’t stop moving for the duration of our lunch.

The menu is extensive, particularly for lunchtime, with starters, sharing platters, mains, light bites and sandwiches all on offer. There’s even a fixed price menu, at £12.50 for two courses – a selection of dishes from the main menu. After much deliberation (there’s seriously TOO much choice!), I settled on a small crispy duck salad and mum went for the crab & crayfish sandwich, with chips.

My salad was amazing and part of me is crying as I didn’t take any photos. Not only did it taste great, it was presented beautifully too – ribbons of mooli, carrot and cucumber, topped with the crispiest duck in a hoi sin, plum and sweet chilli sauce, garnished with spring onion. The size was perfect for lunch, although I’d love to know how much bigger the ‘large’ size is. It was just so fresh and exactly what I was expecting – easily the best salad I’ve had.

The service was pretty slow, but understandable given how busy it was. We were lucky to get a table and the food arrived within good time – it was just impossible to catch someone’s eye to get the bill and in the end we went to the bar to pay. I’ll definitely return, there’s so much on the menu I need to try and the atmosphere was decent – you definitely get that traditional cosy pub vibe, which I love.

Love, Lucy xx


No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig