Restaurant review | Trongs, Ipswich

A fortnight ago, Jake and I went to Trongs, a Chinese restaurant in Ipswich. We’d never been before, despite hearing nothing but good things from friends – and the Trip Advisor reviews were all pretty good too. Everyone knows how much I love Chinese food and nice restaurants, so I was really looking forward to it. Even more so when I found out I wasn’t driving so could enjoy a glass or two of vino as well.

We were booked in for 7:30 on the Friday night and at that time it was already quite busy, with tables reserved for larger parties, celebrating birthdays and anniversaries. We were seated immediately and given menus and prawn crackers, with our drinks soon following.
When we’ve been out to Chinese and Thai restaurants in the past, we always order from the set menus and Trongs have a great selection to choose from. From £23pp and with a severe case of eyes bigger than belly syndrome, we thought it best to choose from the a la carte menu and decided on a starter and a handful of main dishes.
We began with crispy aromatic duck pancakes, which were incredible. We only chose a quarter, but there were seven pancakes and plenty of duck, which was shredded at the table. The duck was very crispy and wasn’t too fatty, while the hoi sin sauce was sweet and sticky. I could have done with more cucumber and onions, but we were asked if we wanted anymore pancakes, which I thought was a nice touch. Four was more than enough for me!
For our main courses, I chose one of my favourites: fillet steak Cantonese style – which totally didn’t disappoint. Although, unlike at my local restaurant, it didn’t arrive sizzling on a hot plate. The flavours were spot on, the steak great quality and it even came with vegetables. Jake chose his favourite: chicken in black bean sauce and chilli, which definitely packed a punch. This arrived with a hot plate and was poured at the table, the sauce sizzling away. It was really good, with lots of green and red peppers as well as onions and fresh red chilli. Our final dish was honey roast pork and the sauce was quite similar to the sauce in the beef dish. I love thinly sliced char sui pork and I think this was the pick of the bunch! We accompanied the dishes with a portion of egg fried rice and there was lots of it!

The service was excellent from the moment we arrived to when we left an hour and a half later. Despite it being a busy Friday night, we were never left waiting long for anything and the staff were keen to ensure we were having a good time, without being obtrusive. While it was a lovely place for a quiet meal for two, it’s definitely suited to larger parties, particularly with the set menus on offer and it is as the pricier end of things – so suited to a special occasion rather than a standard meal out.



No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig