Another recipe post this evening, which is quite funny considering I’m healthy eating and even went to the gym for the first time on Sunday in years. But this is genuinely the easiest recipe ever. I made this cake for the first time for Ashley’s birthday and it was a massive success. I even treated myself to a little slice and it was just divine. The crunchy sugary lemon topping totally makes it, by the way.
Dependent on how thick the slices are cut, this recipe serves 8-10.
· 125g butter
· 175g caster sugar
· 2 large eggs
· 175g self raising flour
· 2 lemons, unwaxed
· 50g granulated sugar
· Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, if necessary and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper
· In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar, until fluffy
· Beat the eggs and slowly add to the mixture, alternating with tablespoons of flour
· Grate the zest of one of the lemons and add to the mixture, before adding the juice
· Spoon into the tin and level
· Bake for 30 minutes
· While the cake is baking, grate the zest of the second lemon and mix with half of the granulated sugar
· Squeeze the juice of the second lemon in a small saucepan and add the remaining sugar, stirring gently and leave to simmer for 3-4 minutes – or until of a syrup consistency
· Remove the cake from the oven and with a cocktail stick, pierce the cake. Sprinkle over the lemon and sugar mix, before pouring the drizzle over
· Leave to cool in the tin. Remove and serve
I’d love to make this again, but with lemon and lime for a really citrusy twist.
Please let me know if you try this, or any of my other recipes.
Love, Lucy xx