The Last Supper at Restaurante Mediterraneo, Costa Teguise

Restaurante Mediterraneo, Occidental Lanzarote Mar, Costa Teguise, Lanzarote, Hotel, Restaurant, Review, Set Menu
On our last night in Lanzarote, we always knew we were going to go out for dinner and booked a table at Restaurante Mediterraneo, which was on the same complex as our hotel. As a result, we were given the choice of a four-course set menu, including drinks at 18 per person (25 for non-hotel residents); or 25% off the a la carte menu. We decided on the former.

Our waitress was the lovely Maria, who single-handedly ran the restaurant – and she was brilliant! Nothing was too much trouble and after arranging a high chair and explaining the menu to us, she arranged for Alfie to have a bowl of the tomato soup (which was a starter) – and told us this would be complimentary! Unfortunately, like other days of the holiday, he fell asleep in his dinner, so barely touched it. But Maria then put some chairs together, away from the other diners, and Alfie fell asleep on his makeshift bed... so we had a lovely (dare I say it, romantic) evening.

The pre-starter, if you will, was the chef’s buffet, in which we were invited to help ourselves to some lovely nibbles from the table. Being a buffet, I’m not sure if we were allowed to go up more than once, but I chose too much and with another three courses on the way, decided against that! On the table were plates of smoked fish, cured meats and cheeses; salad items; small tapas on sticks; little pots of joy (I had a mini prawn cocktail, which was unreal); and vol-au-vents. Of course, the highlight was the jamon and manchego, but I wish I’d helped myself to more of the meats, than the small items, which weren’t labelled.
Restaurante Mediterraneo, Occidental Lanzarote Mar, Costa Teguise, Lanzarote, Hotel, Restaurant, Review, Set Menu
Restaurante Mediterraneo, Occidental Lanzarote Mar, Costa Teguise, Lanzarote, Hotel, Restaurant, Review, Set Menu
We followed up with starters of soup – and there was a choice of tomato with olive, or vichyoisse with jamon and avocado. Ash had the tomato soup, which he said was nice, despite having to pick out the olive garnish. I decided on the vichyoisse, as I was sold by the jamon and avocado, even though I had no idea what vichyoisse was. Turns out it’s a leek soup, quite thick in consistency, but incredibly delicious! The garnish added a variety of textures and the jamon, some saltiness. As I finished, I hit a wall and forgot there was a main course to come...
Restaurante Mediterraneo, Occidental Lanzarote Mar, Costa Teguise, Lanzarote, Hotel, Restaurant, Review, Set Menu
Restaurante Mediterraneo, Occidental Lanzarote Mar, Costa Teguise, Lanzarote, Hotel, Restaurant, Review, Set Menu
I believe there were three meat dishes to choose from, as well as fish and vegetarian options (I can’t remember exactly and there’s nothing online to aide me). But we both went for meat – Ash opting for turkey (not eaten often in Spain) and I had my first (and last!) steak of the holiday. I think it was a solomillo (sirloin), which I had cooked medio (medium) and it was so succulent. It came served with the most gorgeously thin, crisp shoestring fries and vegetables. I'm still so gutted I couldn’t eat more than I did – I think I only managed half. I couldn’t even apologise in Spanish for being so full (that and I never eat more than two courses). Ash’s turkey was cooked in a creamy mushroom sauce and came with the same accompaniments, with the addition of rice (how Portuguese!). I think by this point, he struggled too... and we still had the matter of dessert!
Restaurante Mediterraneo, Occidental Lanzarote Mar, Costa Teguise, Lanzarote, Hotel, Restaurant, Review, Set Menu
Restaurante Mediterraneo, Occidental Lanzarote Mar, Costa Teguise, Lanzarote, Hotel, Restaurant, Review, Set Menu
While we perused the dessert menu, we finished our drinks and after choosing (lemon semi-freddo for Ash and melon balls in some kind of alcohol for me), we enjoyed a complimentary flute of cava – a lovely touch and one that went down very well indeed! It says a lot about me when I can’t manage a pudding and have to resort to the lightest thing on the menu, but I really was so full, verging on over-full. I wish I could have had the flan or crema catalana, but I didn’t want to waste anymore food. I couldn’t even bring myself to try Ash’s dessert, which looked beautiful! My melon was exactly what was needed after such a large, heavy meal.

After paying the bill and scooping Alfie up from his makeshift bed, I thanked Maria for her hospitality (in Spanish – I impress myself sometimes!) and wished her Buenos Noches. I think had we eaten at Restaurante Mediterraneo earlier in the week, we’d have returned (and maybe not eaten so much during the day). It was such a wonderful evening, with good food and local wine – and almost baby-free!

Love, Lucy xx

No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig