Fakeaway | Sesame Chicken

I love me a good Chinese but they are hard to come by and randomly, I was craving sesame chicken last week. A quick Google brought up hundreds of recipes, which looked really complicated, or were as unhealthy as the takeaway version. So I adapted it slightly and remembered one of my favourite coatings, as a healthier option to battering or deep-frying and went with that... sometimes it’s good to follow a recipe but go off-plan somewhat. This was a great success and Alfie loved it too, so I’ll definitely be making it again. You can of course serve this with rice, noodles, or even just vegetables. I went with Uncle Ben’s Special Fried Rice, which wasn’t that nice and I would probably make my homemade egg fried brown rice next time, instead.

This serves two, with a tiny toddler portion (but you could just have two bigger portions).

Ingredients
·         2 chicken breasts, diced
·         1 tbs cornflour
·         Pinch of salt and pepper
·         ½ tbs olive oil
·         1 ½ tbs soy sauce
·         1 tbs honey
·         1 tbs sesame seeds
·         ½ tbs sesame oil
·         1 spring onion, chopped
·         Rice, noodles or vegetables to serve


Method
·         In a bowl, combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, honey and sesame seeds. Set aside
·         In a separate bowl, coat the chicken in the cornflour and season
·         Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the chicken. Fry for 5-6 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown
·         Add the sauce and mix to ensure all the chicken is coated. Allow the sauce to simmer, but not boil, for 3-4 minutes, or until it’s thick and sticky
·         Remove the chicken from the pan and sprinkle with the spring onion, and more sesame seeds, should you wish. Serve and enjoy

Of course, this wasn’t as tasty as the dish you get at the Chinese, but it was a lot healthier and certainly satisfied my craving. I could have done with some appetisers to go with it, mind. But I’m pleased it was a hit.

Please let me know if you try this recipe – or any of my others. If you’re sharing on Instagram, use the hashtag #LucyLovesRecipe so I can take a look at your creations.

Love, Lucy xx  

No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig